Most people get confused as to what is healthy and what is not. This causes them to get frustrated and give up.
To avoid this frustration, just use the easy to follow healthy eating food list.
|Food Group||Good (Eat More of This)||Bad (limit to once in a while)|
|Fats||Canola Oil & Spray ( in moderation)||Butter|
|Extra V. Olive Oil & Spray(in moderation)||Cream|
|Fish Oil||Ice Cream|
|Proteins||Fish - Salmon, Mahi Mahi, and Tuna||Poultry - Chicken(Dark Meat or Skin on)|
|Shellfish - Shrimp, Crab||Beef - Heavily Marbled|
|Poultry - Chicken Breast (skinless) or ground, Turkey(ground)||Ground Beef(Less than 90% lean)|
|Filet Mignon , Flank Steak||Whole Milk|
|Lean Ground Beef(90% lean or more)||Chesses (heavy cream)|
|Pork Loin , Venison||Fried... Anything|
|Cottage Cheese (1 or 2%)|
|Carbohydrates||Breads - Pumpernickel, Rye, Whole Grain||Breads - White, Potato, Refined|
|Cereals - Kashi, oatmeal(no sugar added)||White Rice|
|Starches - Brown Rice, Couscous, Quinoa,Whole Wheat Pasta, Sweet Potatoes, Yams||Baked Goods - Muffins, Cake, Cookies, Doughnuts, Most English Muffins|
|Green Vegetables - Raw, Steamed, Sauteed|
Peppers, Tomatoes, Mushrooms
|Fruit - Fresh (limit 2 - 3 per day)||Ice Cream|
|Granola Bars, Potatos Chips|
|Creamy Salads - Pasta and Potato Salad|
|Cayenne Pepper||Regular Salad Dressing|
|Garlic, Herbs, Spices||Sugar|
|Mustard, Pesto, F. Free or Low Fat Dressing||Miracle Whip|
|Ketchup (limit), BBQ Sauce(limit)|
|Tea (hot or cold)|
|Diet Soft Drinks(limit to 1 per day)|
Now that you know what to eat, here are a couple of healthy recipes for you to make.
Recipe Name: Roasted Salmon with Kale-Quinoa Salad
- 1 (6-oz.) wild salmon fillet
- Cooking spray
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups thinly sliced lacinato kale
- 1/2 cup cooked quinoa
- 1 tablespoon All-Purpose Citrus Dressing
- 5 seedless red grapes, halved
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Place salmon on a foil-lined baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Rub evenly with oil, salt, and pepper. Bake at 350°F for 10 minutes or until fish flakes easily when tested with a fork.
- While fish cooks, combine kale, quinoa, All-Purpose Citrus Dressing, and grapes in a bowl; toss to combine. Let stand 5 minutes. Top with salmon.
Recipe Name: Tarragon Chicken
- 4 (6-ounce) skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon rind
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh tarragon
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Place each chicken breast half between 2 sheets of heavy-duty plastic wrap; pound to 1/4-inch thickness using a meat mallet or small heavy skillet. Sprinkle chicken evenly with 1/4 teaspoon salt.
- Combine olive oil and remaining 5 ingredients in a small bowl, stirring well with a whisk.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add 2 teaspoons oil mixture to pan, spreading evenly over bottom of pan with a wide spatula.
- Add chicken; cook 2 minutes. Drizzle chicken with 2 teaspoons oil mixture. Turn chicken over; cook 2 minutes. Drizzle remaining oil mixture over chicken; reduce heat to low. Cover and cook 2 minutes or until done. Transfer chicken to a serving platter. Pour pan drippings over chicken; serve immediately.